TEACHING PHILOSOPHY & ARTS EDUCATION GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Traditional and Experimental Approaches: Use fundamental and classical approaches to fine arts as a necessary step for grasping contemporary art and discovering experimental possibilities for innovative application of new media and technologies. Utilize professional artists and archival materials.
Emphasis on One-to-one Learning: Work with teachers, parents and assistants to give students individual attention in classrooms. Connect students with artists through the apprenticeship model.
California State Content Standards for the Arts and Project-based Teaching: Design projects that use sequential CA Content Standards-based development of ideas through collaborative brainstorming, planning and team implementation with an outcome that culminates in public presentation and individual recognition.
Interdisciplinary Approach: Incorporate themes that involve other fields of knowledge and skills. Show how concepts learned can be transferable to other fields and professions. Utilize artistic principles in the practical application of fundamental academic knowledge.
Introduction of New Ideas: Introduce students to ideas that stretch assumptions about what children can and cannot understand or appreciate including cultural history, current events and critical thinking skills.
for private instructions and apprenticeship programs
Help ArtSeed with your feedback.
to help provide individualized learning for students in schools
ArtSeed is currently establishing a new extra-curricula program to serve students at our fine arts studio on weekends, after-school and on days when schools are closed. Return to the home-page for more information. For schools looking to enhance their in-school art program contact Josefa at 415-656-9849 and be prepared to provide ArtSeed with the following:
– Teacher and artist planning session for all classrooms
– Project completion evaluation from adults involved
– Parent Permission Form from all families
– Storage for project materials
List of Schools ArtSeed has worked with:
Public School Partnerships:
– SF Public Montessori School, 2340 Jackson, near Fillmore, SF, CA 94115.
– Leola Havard Early Education School, 1520 Oakdale near 3rd Street in Bayview Hunters Point.
– Marina Middle School, 3500 Fillmore Street, SF, CA 94123.
– Presidio Early Education School, Building 387, Presidio National Park.
– Sherman Elementary School, 1651 Union St, San Francisco, CA 94123.
– Lowell High School, 1101 Eucalyptus Dr, San Francisco, CA 94132.
Private School Partnerships:
– SF Montessori Academy, 1566 32nd Ave. near Judah St.
– Saint Brigid School, 2250 Franklin St, San Francisco, CA 94109.
After School Community Center:
– Booker T. Washington Community Service Center
ArtSeed’s volunteers are essential to the success of the above programs and events. Please call Josefa at 415-656-9849 to inquire and make a difference in a child’s life with art!